Staff Attorney – Maui County
The Legal Aid Society of Hawaii, a non-profit law firm, seek applicants for a Staff Attorney position to serve Maui County. Responsibilities include client representation primarily Family Law, Housing, Consumer Protection and Public Assistance Benefits. Staff Attorneys also participate community engagement, outreach and education, statewide initiatives, and in and day–to-day supervision of non-attorney staff.
- Member in good standing of the Bar of the State of Hawaii.
- Demonstrable commitment to social justice or experience working with disadvantaged and/or low-income population, or issues affecting low-income populations required.
- Litigation experience and experience in one or more of the legal areas listed above preferred.
- Able to work collaboratively and maintain good working relationships in small office.
- Culturally sensitive and able to work well with diverse, low-income populations.
- Able to manage a busy litigation practice, meet deadlines, and perform multiple tasks with attention to detail.
- Able to work under pressure in an empathetic and professional manner.
Compensation: $42,000 – $53,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits package including $150/month student loan repayment, medical and dental insurance, 401K match, life insurance, long term care insurance, long term disability insurance, paid parental leave plan, & extremely generous vacation and sick leave.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. No Calls Please.
The Legal Aid Society of Hawaii is an Equal Opportunity Employer. More information about Legal Aid can be found at www.legalaidhawaii.org
Intake Paralegal (Honolulu)
The Legal Aid Society of Hawaii, a non-profit legal service provider, seeks a part-time intake paralegal to assist clients through Legal Aid's centralized hotline which involves screening applicants for eligibility, completing applications, providing legal information and advice under supervision of attorney, and providing referrals.
Schedule is somewhat flexible, but applicants must be available at least 20 hours per week during regular business hours.
Some legal experience is preferred, but training will be provided. Law students and recent college graduates are encouraged to apply. All candidates should meet the following minimum requirements:
* Have a college degree or other equivalent experience.
* Ability to work with low-income and disadvantaged populations;
* Strong oral communication skills;
* Ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems.
* Familiarity with Microsoft Office and proficiency with a computer.
* Individuals that can speak and write Marshallese or other COFA languages and experience and understanding of the target population strongly preferred.
Compensation $14.09/hour - $18.00/hour commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, 401K retirement plan, Flex spending plan, long term care insurance and generous paid vacation and sick leave.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references via this posting. More information about Legal Aid can be found at www.legalaidhawaii.org. No telephone calls please. The Legal Aid Society of Hawaii is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Administrative Assistant: Part-Time
The Legal Aid Society of Hawaii, a non-profit law firm, seeks a Part-Time Administrative Assistant. Duties include providing administrative support to management staff and the Board of Directors including, but not limited to assisting with grant reporting and grant file management, supporting fundraising activities, taking minutes and coordinating Board of Director meetings, assisting the Executive Director, providing back-up assistance to reception, photocopying, postage, and filing. Must be able to work with challenging individuals.
Candidates should meet the following minimum job qualifications:
- Have an Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year College or technical school or equivalent experience.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint).
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work directly and collaboratively with diverse persons and programs found in a multi-faceted agency and community.
Compensation: $13.04 - $18.26/hour commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefit package includes health and dental insurance, 401K plan, long term disability and long term care insurance, life insurance, paid state holidays and generous paid vacation and sick leave.
Interested individuals should send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references.
More information about Legal Aid can be found at www.legalaidhawaii.org. No telephone calls please.